The Old State House was built in 1758 in Portsmouth, New Hampshire to house the colonial government in New Hampshire. Originally, the building was located at Market Square, in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, but in 1969, the State of New Hampshire purchased the building and moved it to a new location. The Old State House was dismantled in 1989-1990 and all of the elements, including the labeled eighteenth-century elements, as well as the unlabeled nineteenth-century elements, were placed in a 40-foot trailer and moved to Concord, New Hampshire.
CHRS, Inc., along with their subcontractor Rondout Woodworking, were awarded a contract to assess the stored elements in November 2007. The analysis and a report documenting the assessment were completed in December 2007-January 2008.
The public meetings are the last stage of the assessment project as the New Hampshire Division of Historic Resources seeks public input into the future of the Old State House.